Am I allowed to work in my profession if I do not yet have recognition and a BIG registration?

If you are a clinical technologist, doctor, dentist, pharmacist, healthcare psychologist, psychotherapist, physician assistant, physiotherapist, midwife, nurse, registered dental hygienist or remedial educationalist you are only allowed to work professionally in the Netherlands if you have a registration in the BIG register. You can only apply for a BIG registration if your diploma is recognized.

For all other professions a CIBG recognition is sufficient in order to work independently. A BIG registration is not possible for these professions.

Before or during the recognition procedure you will be in the same position, from a legal perspective, as Dutch students who are attending practical internships during the last part of their course. You may then work under the responsibility of a care provider who is actually authorised. He or she must inform the patient and ask permission for you to do so. He or she will also determine what you are allowed to do and will check your work. You will not be allowed to use your professional title either. This means, for example, that you will not be allowed to call yourself a doctor or dentist.

It is sensible to contact a care provider in the Netherlands to arrange an internship. In that way you will gain experience with the Dutch healthcare system.