I have a non-European diploma that is recognised in Europe. What is the next step?

Every member state of the EU is allowed to recognise diplomas from outside Europe. That is the responsibility of the member state. Other member states are not bound by this because they have their own education-related requirements. These applications are therefore dealt with by us, in principle, as an application with a diploma from outside the EU. This is the procedure during which you apply for a Certificate of competence.

Previous recognition sometimes does have an influence

If, after recognition by another member state, you have worked for three years or more in the profession for which you are submitting the application in that country, and if you have obtained European nationality, the previous recognition will influence which procedure applies to you. In that case we will treat the application as a recognition of professional qualification.  You will have to provide proof of the previous recognition and your work experience.