Dutch language proficiency

If you do not have a qualification from a Dutch vocational course relating to the profession for which you want to enrol in the BIG registeror a certificate of competence issued by CIBG, you will need to submit other proof of language proficiency. The required level and assessment differs per profession.

Which proof of language proficiency suits your situation

I have not attended a Dutch vocational course for the profession for which I want to register

  • Original or originally authenticated copies of Dutch primary school and secondary school qualifications, OR
  • An authenticated qualification or certificate (with ink stamp and signature) of a Dutch Language Test at the right level. Below you will find an overview of the requirements per profession for the Dutch language test.

Can you demonstrate in another way that you have mastered the Dutch language at the correct level? Then please provide original or original certified proof of this. An assessment will then determine whether you meet the requirements.

I have a foreign qualification but the course for the profession for which I want to register was given in Dutch

This applies in the case of courses given in both Dutch and in a foreign language. You must then submit the following proof:

  • An original (or originally authenticated) syllabus or curriculum which shows that the vocational course was attended in Dutch. You will often receive this syllabus or curriculum when you qualify. If you do not have this syllabus or curriculum (anymore), you can ask the educational institution to provide it.

Dutch language test per profession

Required language level

For nurses, physiotherapists, physician assistants, midwives and registered dental hygienists:

  • For nurses: language level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference
  • For physiotherapists, physician assistants, midwives and registered dental hygienists: language level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference.

For doctors, dentists, pharmacists, psychotherapists, remedial educationalists generalist, health psychologists and clinical technologists:

  • Language level: B2+. This level is a combination of B2 and C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.

What requirements must the language proof meet?

  • The course must be concluded with an exam or assessment. Proof of participation in a course is not sufficient.
  • The test must consist of the following parts: writing, listening, reading and speaking. All parts must be completed at the correct level and with good results.
  • The diploma or certificate must not be older than 2 years.

Who should you contact for the test?

In the Netherlands you can choose where you take a language test. You are responsible for checking whether the language test meets the above conditions.

Language level B1 and B2

Various providers offer the Dutch language test. You can find information about all the university language centres in the Netherlands on www.nut-talen.eu/leden/. You can also take the state examinations in Dutch as a second language. These are known as the NT2 state examinations.

Language level B2+

Not all language centers offer a language test at B2+ level. In any case, the institutions below do. This is not an exhaustive list. You may also take the test at another institution if it consists of the correct components.

Examples of language level B2+ providers
Name of institution Name of the test
Taleninstituut Babel Nederlands voor medici uit de EER
ExcelLanguages Taaltoets Nederlands
NedLes Taaltoets Nederlands B2+
SUEZ Taaltoetsen Taaltoets Nederlands
Taalschool ‘En nu Nederlands’ Taaltoets B2+
Retora Taaltoets Nederlands
Georg Lamers Sprachenschule (Duitsland) Fremdsprachkurse Niederländisch für Ärzte
BGB Academy Examen Nederlands B2+

Youvvolution Development Resources Lda.

Taaltoets Nederlands
Dutch in Dialogue Nederlands B2+ voor medici
Care Force Language Academy Taaltoets B2+ voor medici uit de EER
Elycio Talen Taaltoets Nederlands B1, B2 of B2+ voor zorgprofessionals

From abroad

If you live abroad and have a good command of Dutch, then you can take a 'toets Nederlands als vreemde taal (CNaVT)' (Dutch as a foreign language test). This has to be a test arranged by the Dutch Language Union. The certificate must state: The Board of Tests and Examinations or the Dutch Language Union.