BIG-registration is obligatory for 13 healthcare professions. The BIG register is a legal, online and public register for Professions in Individual Health Care (Beroepen in de Individuele Gezondheidszorg). Only healthcare professionals who are registered in the BIG register, may use the protected professional title and may independently perform the reserved actions associated with the profession.
Healthcare professionals with a foreign diploma can register with a officially recognized foreign diploma. The advice wizard shows you which procedure for recognition may apply to your situation. You also need to provide a proof of Dutch language proficiency when you apply for registration.
What it means to be BIG registrated:
- You may use the legally protected title(s) belonging to your profession;
- Allied medical care professionals, doctors, dentists, clinical technologist, midwives, nurses, physician assistants and registered dental hygienist may carry out certain reserved procedures independently;
- You can begin specialist training in your professional field;
- You are subject to Dutch disciplinary law;
- You may practise your profession independently when you have a recognized foreign diploma.