If you do not agree with a decision of the BIG-register you can appeal. If you do not agree with the decision about your appeal, you can take the matter to a civil court and request a judicial review.

Do you have a question about a certain decision? Contact the BIG Information line. Always state the reference that is mentioned on the decision.


If you do not agree with a decision you can appeal within 6 weeks of the date in the decision letter. Please make your appeal in time, otherwise we cannot take it into consideration.

In the appeal, state your name and address, the date and the reference of the letter. The reference can be found in the right margin of the letter. Motivate why you do not agree with the decision. Do not forget to sign and date your appeal, otherwise the appeal is not valid.

Send the appeal by post to:

Ministerie van Volksgezondheid, Welzijn en Sport
Directie Wetgeving en Juridische Zaken

Postbus 20350
2500 EJ Den Haag

You can also email your appeal to:

What happens with your appeal?

The Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs (WJZ) of the Ministry of VWS will handle your appeal. It can seek advice from the internal review commission (General Administrative Law Act; Awb). The appeals commission listens to both motivations and will then give its recommendations.

You will have the opportunity to present your standpoint during an eventual hearing. The official who prepared the original decision will also explain the motivation for the decision.

The final decision is made by the Director of WJZ. You will receive the final decision and (when applicable) a copy of the commission’s advice by mail.

NB: Even if you make an appeal, your name will be struck from the BIG-register on the date that is mentioned in the decision. If your appeal is granted, we will reverse this cancellation.

Judicial review

If you disagree with the decision on your appeal, you can take the matter to a civil court and request a ‘judicial review’. Information about the procedure is included in the letter about the final decision.

If still not satisfied with the court’s decision, you can pursue the matter to the highest court in the Netherlands, the Council of State.