BIG registration with a recognised qualification

If you are a pharmacist, doctor, physiotherapist, health psychologist, clinical technologist, physician assistant, psychotherapist, dentist, nurse, midwife and remedial educationalist (Article 3 professions), you can submit an application for BIG registration after you have received a Recognition of professional qualifications. Registration in the BIG register is obligatory in order to be allowed to work in these professions and use the professional title in the Netherlands. All other professions can use the professional title and work in the Dutch healthcare sector after their professional qualifications have been recognised. BIG registration is not required for these professions.

Conditions for BIG registration

  • You have a recognised qualification for one of the 12 Article 3 professions.
    You fulfil this requirement if you have a Recognition of professional qualifications for one of these professions.
  • You have a satisfactory command of the Dutch language.
    You must submit a Proof of Dutch language proficiency.
  • You do not have any active restriction of authority for your profession and no criminal convictions.
    You must submit proof to back this up.

Is your Recognition of professional qualifications older than 5 years, there are additional requirements for your application. Read the last paragraph for more information.

Did you obtain your qualification over 5 years ago?

If you obtained your qualification 5 years ago or longer, additional requirements will apply to your application with regard to work experience or training. These are the same requirements as the re-registration criteria that every BIG registered healthcare professional must fulfil every five years in order to be allowed to re-register. If you wish to submit a registration application using a qualification that is older than 5 years, you must also fulfil these criteria and submit documents (evidence). Please carefullty read the information 'Applications with a qualification older them five years'.

If you do not fulfil the work experience requirements, you may be able to register by attending a training course which awards a Periodical Registration Certificate (PRC). Please contact us to find out whether this is possible in your case.

Applying for BIG registration